Photo by Jeff Mensch
Provenance of Dish
Who doesn’t love a nourishing, high protein lunch on the go? This super versatile “chicken” can be added to a bed of greens, used as a sandwich filling or eaten on its own. This is one of those dishes that I pre-make and eat all week. - Michelle
1 pound black king mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ medium white onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons poultry seasoning
1 15 ounce can of chickpeas
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
½ medium red onion, diced
½ cup sliced almonds
½ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup vegan cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Optional add-ins: halved red grapes, diced green apples, seasonal berries
1. Use a sturdy metal fork to shred mushrooms. Place the mushroom against a cutting board and use the fork to pull the mushroom apart. Shred the cap and stalk of the mushroom.
2. Add oil to cast iron skillet
3. Sauté the white onion and garlic over medium heat until golden and aromatic.
4. Add the mushroom shreds and allow the mushrooms to begin to sweat.
5. Add the poultry seasoning and mix well.
6. Cook mushrooms for 10 minutes over low heat, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
7. Drain the chickpeas and then smash them into a paste (into a near paste, leaving a few chickpeas partially smashed and a few whole).
8. Dice the bell pepper, celery, and red onion (as well as apples and grapes if using).
9. Combine mushroom “chicken” with mashed chickpeas, bell pepper, celery, red onion, dried cranberries and almonds in a large mixing bowl.
10. Stir in ¾ cup of vegan cream cheese and salt and pepper to taste.