Photo by Annaliese Bischoff
Provenance of Dish
I have been enjoying lion's mane since I discovered it at our farmer's market a few years ago. This year I grew some from a kit at home. This is one recipe I tried recently which we enjoyed. Feel free to modify the spices if there are any you don't like.
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of ground fennel seed
1 tsp. kosher salt
12 oz lion’s mane sliced into 1/3 inch steaks
Peanut oil (or other high point vegetable oil)
Pat or two of unsalted butter
Chives and scallions, chopped for garnish
(Suggestion: serve over cauliflower or potato mash @2 cups or so, with glazed carrots and fresh fennel as sides)
• Combine the spices and salt.
• With the flat side up of the lion’s mane steaks, generously spoon the spice mix on one just this one side.
• Pour enough oil into a heavy large skillet (so it’s about 1/8 inch deep) and heat until medium high.
• Add the steaks (with the spiced side up) to the hot skillet and cook about 4 minutes, until golden brown.
• Then turn the steaks over and cook another 4 minutes, until golden brown. Add a pat of butter and cook another minute.
• Garnish with chives and scallions. Good to serve over garlic mashed cauliflower or potatoes, (with a side of glazed carrots and sliced fennel bulb).