Photo by Reylon Agustin
Provenance of Dish
Soups have become the humblebrag of the party. The nuances and structure built into a great soup make for a memorable, comforting experience time and time again. Mushrooms are full of water but this is a great way to focus that flavor.
2ea yellow onion, sliced
1# hen of the woods mushroom
2# king trumpet mushroom
1/2# black trumpet mushroom
8oz whole unsalted butter, diced
2# yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
4g corriander seeds
4g black peppercorn
6oz white wine
1/2 garlic head, split
1/4 bu thyme
1ea bay leaf
8oz heavy cream
3qts vegetable stock
1. Melt Butter in a large pot, and add mushrooms, onions, potatoes and begin to sweat. Sweat for 1 hour on low heat.
2. Make a sachet out of cheesecloth with bay leaf, garlic, and spices. Add to sweating mushroom mixture and continue to sweat for 1 hour.
3. After 1 hour add wine and cook for 20 mins to cook off alcohol.
4. Add vegtable stock and cream and cook for another 1 hour.
5. Blend, pass, and season with salt.